With the generous support of RBC and Employment and Social Development Canada, BGC Canada is pleased to announce that BGC Red Deer Club will receive $35,000 to deliver Raise The Grade program from September 27, 2021 – July 31, 2022.
Raise the Grade is a BGC Canada National Program that supports high school youth to gain the skills they need to be successful in school, work and life.
Through hands-on learning opportunities, a focus on exploring personal interests and goals, and supportive relationships with Club staff and mentors, youth who participate in RTG are supported to achieve the following outcomes:
- High school graduation
- Insight about their personal interests and how to pursue them
- Sufficient credits and grades for post-secondary education, including apprenticeship, college or university
- Career aspirations that match their personal interests and goals
A multi-faceted education program, Raise the Grade increases academic skills, high school graduation rates, and access to post-secondary education for youth. It is an interactive after-school program that allows young people to explore their personal interests, receive homework support, connect with mentors and/or tutors, interact with peers, increase their digital literacy, and plan for post-secondary education.
The 5 Pillars of RAISE THE GRADE
- Academic Support – activities can include homework help, academic goal-setting, developing learning plans, and liaising with schools and families
- Life After School – activities include supporting youth to develop job and career readiness skills and to find work, working with youth to explore their interests, skills, and career options, and supporting youth to ensure they are making decisions in a way that sets them up to achieve their goals (e.g. linking high school credits to PSE aspirations)
- Digital Literacy – All RTG Clubs have a designated tech centres with computers, printers, high-speed internet, hardware and software to support learning
- Youth Engagement – RTG programs should be built to provide youth with access to a wide variety of youth-led, interest-based activities, projects and opportunities.
- Mentorship – Access to a supportive adult, either in 1:1 or small group settings, is a key component to the RTG program and extremely important when it comes to identifying needs, concerns, aspirations and next steps for academic achievement and career planningBGC Raise The Grade Media Release